PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructing at 55
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2012, 19:08
Aware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't think age is an issue, some the best instructors I have flown with are over 70.

Not sure CPL is necessary or FI why not CRI to see how you get on, you will need 300 hrs for that. And course is much shorter, With a PPL FI you will be able to teach the new LAPL, and be paid, but I personally don't think there will be much work for that licence, unless medical issues present. Never seen many NPPLs and nobody who could it in 32 hours.

Otherwise the cost will be quite high:

Class 1 Circa £400
Exams £2500
CPL £7500
FI £7000

Total £17400.00 That includes tests and aircraft hire.

To earn average of £15 - £20 per hour. I have done the same after being made redundant at 40.

Now 47 run other business Monday - Thursday instruct Fridays. Done 1000 hrs instructing added IMC instructor night instructor and ground instructor.

Instructing can be rewarding, but if you have experience in industry you will get quite frustrated at how PPL instructing works, you tend to be abused by the schools knowing they can pay you little, some schools are paying 30.00 a day even if you fly 6 hours.

Some students are a pleasure to teach, some will take away a little piece of you when they ve finished.

Its hard work, you will get to the point where you wonder what you're putting back into the industry. As you will feel everybody is taking advantage of you.

But Im continuing as I love the flying, and I love the interaction with the students, going to add a flight examiner rating in due course, but you must have a good supplementary income as the pay is so poor, a vocation it has to be: but with all the above in mind Id have a go, makes you a very competent pilot.

Work is hard to find at present, and with the implementation of EASA and RTFs going there will be fewer schools post 2015 without a doubt.

In summary when you start to fly other than as a PPL essentially pleasing yourself, another set of rules applies, its not so much about the flying, its all about the student and how best to get then through the course, and make them a very competent pilot, and push them onto the next goal, exam or solo or QXC etc, thats the bit which is draining sometimes, but with management experience that should be no problem. Its quite different than a trip to the coast on a summers afternoon, its after all work, and really hard some days.

Last edited by Aware; 13th Feb 2012 at 19:33.