PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B757 Assumed temperature T/O thrust time limit?
Old 13th Feb 2012, 16:19
boxjockey99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B757 Assumed temperature T/O thrust time limit?

Hi all

I have a dilemma, I am about to go in the sim for an apparently quite challenging profile and need to find some info on the above. I know that the B757 (RB211-535-E4) has a max TOGA time limit of 5 mins but I hear rumours that this doesn't apply if you have an assumed temperature set. now this to me is common sense as with an assumed temp you will be taking off with less than max thrust BUT where is it written that Assumed temp cancels the TOGA time limit? I'll try to put this in context:

A/c takes off full thrust (1.72 EPR) and loses an engine, the book says that you are limited to 5 mins so in a limiting place such as Chambery or Geneva with a long emergency turn you're going to be in a situation where you need to reduce thrust to MCT earlier than your normal profile would have you do.

so the alternative

A/c takes off at say 39 Degrees Assumed temp and gets lets say 1.68EPR. Same thing happens engine goes bang and you have a long drawn out emergency turn procedure. Notwithstanding knowing all the percentages of the MCT performance bracket of the engine where do I now find myself when I hit the magical 5 mins?

I know from experience in the box that often if you have taken of at a high assumed temp (+54) then you often end up increasing power on the live engine hence I would suggest in this case reducing thrust is not really an issue but the point remains where is it written that when using an assumed temp (no matter what that might be) means we can dispense with the 5 minute limit and happily follow the standard EFATO profile no matter how long the emergency turn.

Your help is greatly appreciated