PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New EASA IR(A) and the solo NQ requirement
Old 13th Feb 2012, 14:51
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the exhibitors told me that in his state, colourblind people were not allowed to hold a commercial driving license 'which is part of the reason we have the safest roads in the world'.
That I assume was tongue in cheek

Regarding the Pape paper, my recollection was that his principal drift was that CVD is not a safety issue if you assume that the pilot is competent to start with.

He is/was an ATP. I vaguely recall he sued the Australian CAA over this, and won, but the result was a sub-ICAO license concession which meant he could fly only in Australian airspace.

So the context is mainly IFR, plus a general level of competence. And this in turn means that the pilot should not be scud running an aircraft between towers with coloured lights on them, and he will spend most of his time in CAS where separation is provided by ATC radar.

On top of that, "everybody" knows that see-and-avoid is a lousy system, which the aviation business clings on to only because there are no easy technological work-arounds which work universally.