PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 525 Relentless
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2012, 14:09
Lonewolf_50

Received 395 Likes on 245 Posts
SAS, and various gentlemen ...
But....the proof is in the pudding as they say!
World Wide Words: Proof of the pudding
They also say that "The proof of the whiskey is in the flame!" Well, they do where I'm from.
... after all these years of happiness over having your hand in your crotch all day long and getting paid for it, how the heck are you supposed to get used to this Airbus stick
The answer to this was provided later ...
Is this a result of Mr. Lappos's involvement with Bell?? Sure looks like a 76, and didn't the RAH-66 have fly-by-wire....
Yes it did, cyclic on the RH side. RAH-66 also had no rudder pedals. Save weight but added a required monkey skill of "wrist twist" for anti-torque control.
Bell has retained rudder pedals. Wonder why they did that? (Hmm, perhaps due to its not being a DoD contract? :-)
Retracting into the fuselage takes up space (which could be used for fuel or baggage) and lots of weight for complex undercarriage. A pair of sponsons would both widen the track for stability, and simplify the retraction and associated ironmongery.
Yes, but then it wouldn't look as cool as an S-76. (The Lappos influence seems a valid assumption ...)
There is no doubt Bell are long over due in the civil arena for such an aircraft, but the cynic in me says they are pushing a product they cannot deliver until well after AW and EC get there girls on line
I mean certification for a plank cockpit? Years....
They may be relying on some political muscle for US cert, and once US cert, some momentum for other certs ... but I agree with your point.

It appears that they won't be 'first in" at this point.