PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates going with DEC
View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2012, 12:11
MagicCarpet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“We can offer our flight crew career progression. If you come here as a first officer, providing you meet all the requirements in terms of ability & experience, then the time to upgrade, the time to captaincy is relatively short. It’s probably the shortest of any airline in the world now.”

Captain Alan Stealey
Emirates Flight Deck Crew Careers recruiting DVD
Copyright 2010

I missed the bit about hiring career FOs who would have trouble upgrading. It’s good to know the recruiting & training departments featured in that DVD actually fought for the principles they stated.

As far as experienced FOs, I specifically mentioned “experienced FOs with airline command experience”. They passed upgrade somewhere and managed not to crash. Seems likely they could do the same at EK.

The funny part is, I fully understand the need for DECs under certain circumstances. In fact I’d like to run out my career as one after leaving here. As it stands today though I just happen to believe that Emirates has a lot of good FOs (including many without previous command experience) who given the chance would make good captains.