PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thorney Island Emsworth
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2012, 09:12
Mike Dunn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Archaeology on Thorney...

I hope members will excuse this rather strange request... the best link I can offer is that I once was the F/Sgt in the RAF section of a Cadet Corps (to 1959) !

The local archaeology society is trying to bring together records that refer to the Island. These are rather few, and not always clear. We are particularly interested in any finds made (Roman pottery, flints etc), and we do know that some were made and recorded by a Rev. Crookshank in the late 1930s, and then by the CO Gp. Captain Eeles in 1948/9. There are two very old photos now in the church taken by him during an excavation.. but no record of where they were taken!

My request is for any members who have any recollections, photos, or indeed anything that relates to archaeology to please let us have this information, even if very minor, as it might help build up the picture! We would also be interested in anyone who recalls the Gp Captain and his digging, and indeed whether any of his finds were kept somewhere (eg. in a cupboard in the Officers Mess or whatever??), or maybe written up somewhere. Does anyone know if he is still with us, or has surviving relations, who might know of his finds.

Do please get in touch, however minor it might seem to you, as we will be very interested. Thorney has had people living there since the neolithic age (stone axes etc) and very possibly has an unrecorded Roman villa there -- but where might it be?! Many thanks.

Mike