PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates going with DEC
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2012, 02:51
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts
Wiz, as a DEC yourself, what would you prefer to see: more DECs of the standard and motivational levels we had the last time around or some of the current crop of FOs being promoted???
Well first up, this may well be another beat up. I'm on leave and so not in touch, but while DEC TREs (I hadn't heard TRIs) have been mentioned, DECs have been openly stated by TCAS as not being what EK want, and yes, "SOME" of the last batch are the reason!

Good chance OzzyA380 has heard that and jumped to conclusions.

Think about it- upgrade a Captain to TRI, you need to replace him on line by upgrading an FO, then hire and train an FO to replace HIM- so three training events.

Still, as I said, they have always kept it as an option.

What would I prefer? Well, I'd prefer the aircraft to be crewed at a reasonable level so the hours aren't ridiculously high. Training is bulging at the seams and if they can find the right kind of DEC, that might help some.

At some point that will mean a perfectley deserving FO having his upgrade delayed, but the short term alternative may well be parked aircraft and the current Captains doing even longer hours.

Be great if they didn't have to, but it might be inevitable.