PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2002, 17:10
whatshouldiuse
I had an arsehole transplant but the arsehole rejected me, which is why I write such rubbish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The TSA...first hand experience

Took my 1st trip with my girlfriend and her son (11) since the TSA took over control of security at US airports this past Tuesday. You think it was bad before.

At Newark, we were signalled out for a complete bag and body search at the gate prior to boarding which is fine with a couple of glaring exceptions. I quote here: " We don't need to search the boy and you can give him his bag too"...say what !! Secondly, when the inspector, maybe 22 or 23 searched my girlfriend's toiletry bag, a couple of tampax / pads fell out onto the floor and table. After fumbling with them and subsequently re-dropping them, the inspector turned beet-red and said everything looked fine. All he did was search her toiletry bag and nothing else.

If you thought this was bad, you have no idea what occured in Las Vegas. This time, we checked our luggage as opposed to carrying it on because we had no desire to see a sniffling nosed kid checking out our dirty clothes. All we put through the x-ray machine was a M&M bag full of gifts. We sailed through security. For those who don't know MaCarron, we were taking Continental out of Terminal A which is a good jaunt from the check-in terminal. It's interspersed with slot machines and smoking lounges on the way to the gate.

As we had time to spare, we stopped in one of the smoking lounges / gaming areas for that one last elusive jackpot. Shortly after, a couple of TSA employees came in and started looking in the garbage cans. There were 2 rather large ones...the cans and not the employees. We thought they were looking for explosives, incendiary devices etc. which is a good thing. But NO. They were looking for discarded empty boxes of Marlboro cigarettes. When the 1st lady found a "buy 2, get a 3rd one free carton", she almost came unglued once she found she would acquire double points by cutting off the bar-code on the wrapper. She became positively giddy when she found an additional 2 empty boxes in the 2nd trash-bin.

God Bless her though, she tore off the bar-codes, and then put the remaining trash back into the bins and sat down with her friend for a well deserved smoke break. No exaggeration as God is my judge. While I'm not trying to duplicate Danny's security theme topic (and feel free to move this if need be), I thought you might all want to know that sometimes new isn't necessarily better and sometimes it's far worse than it's predecessor.