PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QRA, Battle Flight, RAF Gutersloh and RAF Wildenrath and More
Old 12th Feb 2012, 00:58
RAFEngO74to09

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
I was the Junior Engineering Officer on one of the Phantom squadrons at Wildenrath soon after it formed in and was therefore responsible for the efficiency of arrangements on the ground to support the high readiness state held by Battle Flight. If you are interested in the groundcrew aspects at all, feel free to PM me with your contact details.

Although more capable aircraft have come along since, the Phantom FGR2 was a great aircraft in its time and, and with very well-rehearsed aircrew and groundcrew, was routinely airborne quicker than can be managed today with "fly-by-wire" jets.

Little things like careful positioning of aircrew helmets, life saving jackets and document bags all helped trim several seconds off here and there.

Compare this (92 Sqn in 1989) - in almost "real-time" with only one significant groundcrew action omitted from the filming:

with this (recreation of USAF F-15 Zulu Alert launch from Bitburg in 1992)

Oh dear - I know which team gets my vote for highly co-ordinated aircrew / groundcrew actions and getting the most out of the kit they have been provided with !

Good luck with your project !

Last edited by RAFEngO74to09; 12th Feb 2012 at 01:10.