PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB Report on AirAsia X Gold Coast Approaches
Old 11th Feb 2012, 22:32
FlareArmed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not having a DME/ALT table is a major oversight on this chart.
I agree that the chart is poorly designed, but it seems to have a DME/ALT table (immediately below the profile). Personally, I find the Jeppesen charts a much better presentation – but I want to make a more important point: an unfamiliar approach needs some preparation; pilots should not be reading an approach chart – for the first time – just prior to (or during!) an approach. Modern chart presentation is greatly improved over early efforts, but they still take some planning: when do I need to configure?; what altitude will I start descent?; what ROD/FPA will I need?; what's the critical step?; is their a step that is on or close to my path, or is the descent clearance pretty much not critical?; what do I expect to see when visual (runway a bit left or right considering final course and wind)?

My answer for the 32 VOR is to dive and drive to 3000', start slowing and configuring from 20 miles DTG to be in landing configuration by 12 miles DTG. Start dialing in a VS of 5 x GS at 9.8 DME. Keep a casual eye on the not-below heights because I know nothing is critical (100-200+ feet clearance over each step). I expect to get visual with the runway slightly to the right with about a 10 degree right turn needed to line-up for landing. I'm looking for a T-VASIS, but with a TCH of 39', I want to be one dot high (in an A330). Simple.

As my flying instructor in the early days once said. a lack of prior planning leads to piss poor performance.