PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow - Gatwick Helicopter Link
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2002, 16:12
Duke of Burgundy
stings like a bee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viva - just to add to Unwell`s info, it was operated by I think British Caledonian Helicopters and its registration was G-LINK (what else). I thought it was an SK61 but not sure about that.

It cost £12 for a single fare when the service started. Its operating certificate from the outset was planned to expire when the M25 between the M23 and the M4 was completed.

Its route within the London Control Zone was from Oxshott station northbound along heli-route H9 and it had a dedicated landing/departure strip just south of the runway 05 threshold.

When Terminal 4 was built the strip disappeared and the helicopter had to land on the southern runway and park on stand H38.

It used the Decca navigator system and so could operate in IMC and if my memory serves me correctly it was also capable of carrying out a CAT III ILS approach if necessary.

When inbound to Heathrow it would be cleared for a Standard Decca 28 or Decca 10 arrival ( depending on the runway in use), this was in the days of 28 Left and 10 Right of course, and enter the London Zone at 2400 feet.

Noise was a problem and so we used to try to keep it as high as possible for as long as possible both inbound and outbound.

I had a free trip on it once and it was ....well.... very noisy and uncomfortable but didn`t take long.

Hope this is of interest.

Last edited by Duke of Burgundy; 29th Nov 2002 at 20:26.