PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Boys- BBC 1.
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2012, 14:45
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
Harris, he claimed that there was NO NEED for the D-Day landings or the Battle of the Atlantic, that strategic bombing alone would win the day. It didn't.
Harris would have argued that his bomber offensive was diverted from his aim. You might argue that without D-day Harris might have had 2,000 bombers. IIRC a figure of 5,000 was mentioned. All I would say is that you cannot deduce Harris was wrong.

He was also opposed to panacea targets, and in this he consistently argued and fought with CAS and Director of Bomber Operations at the Air Ministry. He didn't want to concentrate on oil or ball bearing targets, as proposed by the Americans, he even opposed the Dams raid. He was totally focused on a campaign of dehousing and destruction of CITIES.
A classic application of some of the principles of war - selection and maintenance of the aim, concentration of force and economy of effort.

Harris did not, I believe, set the aim but certainly attempted to maintain it hell or high water.