PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R44 fatal accident - tail boom failure?
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2012, 12:45
Arthur Mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ FLYINHY

As I understand it, you were close to the fatalities in an accident, and I am soory for your loss, however you cannot simply make speculative statements as fact and not have them questioned

Robinson settles case one day into trial: No pilot error or Passenger Input caused this crash.
The case was settled, and as the accident report was inconclusive, that means we will never know what happened. There is no evidence either for or against pilot error or passenger input. However in the same way that Robinson can be accused of carelessness with respect to the rubber mounts and chugging, the pilot was acting against safety notices about non-pilot passengers and the dual controls.

Defective Rubber Mounts
This might put into perspective on this "chugging" and ramifications of experiencing violent shaking.
Thank-fully this pilot was not too high in the air as was able to come safety down.
http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...FR%2010-07.pdf
Was not the case of the New R44 Helicopter ferrying to Canada.
These were the same part # rubbers that were on this fatal crash helicopter.
Softer rubbers, better ride. Harder (seasoned ) Rubbers- rougher ride
Perhaps I am reading too much into your statement, but there is once again no evidence either for or against chugging occurring on the Canada flight.

We are hoping with this outcome that it spurs enough inquiries to Robinson Company , NTSB and FAA to make changes in order to prevent another tragic accident from happening to a well-loved pilot.
Once again, there is no evidence that it caused the loss of *any* pilots.

I fully support investigations into the chugging issue, as - from what I can see - do Robinson who also don't want their helicopters dropping out of the sky.

But whatever outcome those investigations have, it won't change the fact that the accident investigation causes are unknown. If pinning the blame in your own mind on a single one of the possible causes gives you some sense of closure, then that is a good thing for you.

The research is always helpful for future safety, but doesn't constitute proof of anything in the past.

[For the record, I have no affiliation with Robinson Helicopter Co., other than as a past owner and pilot]

Arfur