PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Paths for Becoming an ATP in India
Old 11th Feb 2012, 08:50
RohanThePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career Paths for Becoming an ATP in India

Hi all,

I am not really keen on pursuing a career in aviation in India but nevertheless, I am keeping all options before me when the time comes. I have been able to work out a couple of routes to becoming an ATP in India but I am unsure of how effective and rewarding they will be. I would like to know your opinions on these paths.

Route One:

A cadet pilot programme. I believe that IndiGo has one running right now and it seems to be working well (from what I hear). My time to start will be 2017-2018. Do you think that airlines will be hiring then and cadet pilot programmes will be on in India at that time?

Route Two:

Would it seem viable to obtain a self-sponsored CPL and then apply to an airline sponsored course for MCC, jet orientation, TR, etc.? IndiGo's programme does have an option for existing CPL holders but my question is whether airlines around 2017-18 will keep such options open? Are there any economical benefits by going for this option, ie., would I end up spending less than Route One?

Route Three:

A full self-sponsored course right from PPL to ATPL/TR and then applying to airlines. I am quite unsure about how this works. I would appreciate if someone could throw some light on this route. It does seem expensive than the other two and are airlines looking for such 'out-of-the-factory' pilots? Please do correct me where I am going wrong.

So these are the routes I have in mind. My primary desire would be to go for a cadet programme with a foreign airline but I want to keep all options open. What do you think?

Cheers.