PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 delamination
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2012, 23:25
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boquing

None of which are the fault of the Carbon/Aramid fibre, but most certainly the fault of the manufacturing and inspection process. Which was designed by somebody.
My main point is that Carbon is a fab material. Not necessarily the way it's stuck together though. It's the fact that it is so hard to inspect that gives me:-

Huge concern on a boat.
ChristiaanJ

My point being.... design engineering is one thing, production engineering is another.... and indeed, if the two are not talking to each other enough.... things come apart.
A good few years ago now, we had a CT Scanner in the research labs of an oil exploration company. They never used it for people, it was for scanning rock samples. It was actually fascinating stuff for my peers and myself looking after it.

The rock was often repressurised to that which it had been under when drilled from the bottom of a well and, in order to do that, it was encased in a variety of (usually) aluminium or even steel pressure vessels. I remember the really scary one was the size of a dustbin, pressurised to 800psi (I'm sorry, I'm a Chain/Hundredwieght/Fortnight man ) with GAS and 'flooded' with live crude oil at about 150C!!

At one time they ran an experiment that used fibre tubes - probably early carbon fibre, this was late eighties - to repressurise 5 inch core samples. These vessels were a (carbon) fibre tube about two feet long with truly massive stainless steel flanges on each end and in use were pressurised to 22 or 23 thousand psi, some even more than that.

The thing being, it wasn't until they got these things - live - onto the CT scanner and scanned down the length of the tube, that they saw for the first time there were huge voids, about a layer thick, sometimes over a third of the circumference and a big chunk of the length!

They had been manufactured to the highest standards - believe me, this company were class in that respect - and designed for astronomic pressures, but they didn't know there was anything wrong until a new technique (CT imaging) was used for some other purpose.

Just my few penn'orth.

Roger.