PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New EASA IR(A) and the solo NQ requirement
Old 10th Feb 2012, 07:54
PrivatePilotDA40NG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello ,

As i almost have my PPL(A) and even if i won't go for the ATPL , i will certainly get an Instrument Rating , I have read the complete EASA document regarding the possible changes to the instrument rating IR(A). The EASA confirmed that they will not work out any changes for helicopter pilots yet.

In their proposals , there are 3 possible options. Briefly said:
1. Introduction of an EIR , meaning Enroute Instrument Rating. This means that the enroute segment of the flight can be completed under IFR , in IMC. However , no SIDs or STARs may be flown with this rating. Takeoff and landing must be completed under VFR. On departure , this means that the overcast cloud deck should be above 1000ft (i guess AGL). So overcast at 1500 means u can just climb out above.

2. Introduction of a more accesible IR(A). It is mentioned that this IR will be more competency based, meaning that the theoretic knowledge required to get this rating , will be severely lowered. A lot of knowledge that is required for the current IR(A) , makes no sense for just flying a cessna 172... That means that the parts regarding flight of High Powered Airplanes , like jets , will be deleted from this more simplified IR.
The main goal of the changes is to make it more attractive to get the rating.

3. The third and most probable option is the combination of option 1 & option 2. Regarding the EASA's calculation of the amount private pilots that will get an IR after this, option 3 would encourage the most pilots to get either the IR or an EIR, greatly reducing the change of accidents following continued VFR flight into IMC.

I am eager to get a full IR. So i hope that either the second or the third option will come soon.

Greetings,
De Smet Sébastien