PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Falklands War Brewing
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2012, 07:44
tangoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'simply suggesting we give the seppos a reason for knowing who their friends are' like your style.

Maybe Ive been in the commercial sector or outside of the UK looking in, too long. This isnt just my opinion, more of a European UK skeptic p.o.v and for the sake of lives I almost hope its true. But doesnt this all look a bit stage managed on both sides.

Where we are in fact heading toward a negotiated settlement? what ever that might be of course!

US didnt back us
Both premiers are seeing a run on their popularity and one certainly needs it more than the other
the Arg want a peaceful settlement
Oil
Closing of ports, air access
Depleted UK mil capability up against several Latin American nations, not just one this time
Yes there is a lot more kit in the Falklands this time and it would certainly give the Arg a bit more than a bloody nose, but a concerted, coordinated effort would probably win the week, then what?

"Due to the last governments mismanagement of the RN in particular and all our other commitments around the globe, we wouldnt be able to seriously consider re-taking the Falklands, but we will go to the UN and demand the wishes of the Falkland islanders are taking into consideration" I can see DC saying with a very concerned look. But more likely and before it got to the stage there will be a negotiated settlement on the oil, as without the ports and support of the Arg, the cost of extraction would be too high, or something like that.

I dont know, there are many imponderables.

Dauntless is routine, there isnt much else to send, Wills is PR but also routine, nuke sub, probably could also be considered routine, probably there as well. But is there anything going down there that isnt routine that signifies we are taking the threats seriously? Like a AEW without which, as history will show, you are b_ggered.

If we are taking it seriously and we are sending something else there, that sends a clear message and negates all this cr_p. If we are taking it seriously and not sending anything extra, it kind of backs it up I would say.

--

On a side note, did you hear the one about Miss Piggy saying that they needed to increase expenditure in intelligence gathering? No, well apparently the head of the military said 'why, we have pprune'!!

T