PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alpha Aviation Academy
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2012, 02:15
Taras B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honestpilot

Probably a better word than 'study' is "prepare"... don't go into the air unprepared to practice the skills that you will need to learn and demonstrate. Yes, read the books, but also sit in a chair or in the cockpit on the ground and "act out" what you will be doing, what your hands and feet will be doing. Flying is both a motor skill and a cognitive skill. Talk to an imaginary ATC so you get used to making standard callouts.

If you can arrange to have your pre-flight briefing the evening before your morning flight, I guarantee you will have dreams about the upcoming sortie. That's a good thing.

Chew gum if your instructor doesn't mind. It will settle your stomach, especially in the first few sorties, lessen any anxiety you may have, keep your mouth wet and help focus your mind. Even monkeys in stressful situations will do that chewing motion...it is a coping behavior that is hard-wired into us, too.

Your brain will be furiously consuming glucose during your time in the air. Drink a half can of Coke before you start your preflight check (then have a pee just before you get into the cockpit). The mild combination of caffeine and glucose will activate your higher learning centers and switch you ON for learning and doing. Drink the other half Coke after you land, it will help you recover. Make no mistake, flying a training aircraft puts tremendous stress on the body and mind, whether you are aware of it or not.

To all the cadets who wrote to me about what to eat the mornings that you fly - I cannot overemphasize the importance of having a low-fat protein/complex carbohydrate breakfast each morning. Eggs/wholemeal toast; beans/wholemeal toast; oatmeal with raisins and nuts; banana milkshake; peanut butter & banana sandwich on wholemeal...you get the idea. Pop Tarts, corn flakes or white rice won't work for you. Protein deficiency = learning deficiency. Eat lite, just enough to satisfy. You can always have a mid-morning snack later.

Since your sorties will be limited, make it a goal to do the best you can on each one. Some will be tough for reasons beyond your control (people usually start well, dip, and then recover in their human performance...don't get discouraged during this natural J-curve, just keep on movin', don't stop).

Aussies are a rough and tough kind of people. They are not what I would describe as thenthitive. But they have good hearts. They will help you get where you need to go--but they will not carry you there.

Core flying should be fun! Enjoy it.

Last edited by Taras B; 19th Dec 2012 at 02:28.