PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2012, 21:26
ncleflights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DTVAirport - yes your correct I am biased and must admit that as for ariports go NCL makes DTV look like a garden shed. However if you check my posts you will see that I have on more than one occasion been very critical of management at NCL.

You further go on to state that folks on Teeside are screaming out for flights from DTV have you any evidence? Believe me as an airline analyst for a number of years I have seen the research and stats produced by asking the folks of Teeside who do travel by air and no demand exists from either the leisure or business sector except for a couple of destinations. However a couple of well performing routes do not make an airport. These are the same stats that an airline would have access to when choosing new routes.

Furthermore as facilities are so poor many folks in Teeside prefer to travel to NCL, LBA or MAN even though flights may be available from DTV and here is where the problem exists, airports have moved on dramatically in the last ten years and DTV has failed to keep up. Travellers now want more from their airport, they want a choice of shops, restaurants, bars somewhere to entertain the kids, also these ancillary services are where airports make a large amount of money. Lack of development at DTV has meant that it fails to meet the demands of the modern air traveller or the local population and they have voted with their feet and walked away.

Remember airlines operate to make a profit so if your assumption that folks are screaming out for flights is correct and demand currently exists then we would have those airlines flying from DTV. However this is not the case and DTV supporters have deluded themselves into believing that a market exists for its services when none does.

Its now time to face up to the facts and remember if DTV were our family pet we would have taken it to the vets by now to had it put to sleep to put it out of its misery