PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2012, 20:32
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A33Zab
For sure a CMM will not supply you with the requested information.
If so, CMMs have changed from "my days".
A CMM would provide me with block diagrams, circuit diagrams, circuit board layouts, and yes, pictures like the one you showed, to correlate circuit board references and their physical location in the computer.
But it would also provide me with a full test specification.

For test and fail isolation the computer will be connected to an
ATEC Series 6 testbench.
I'm afraid you're confusing matters.
The ATEC is an automatic test system that runs an automatic test prgram.
That program does not just appear 'ex nihilo'... it is written on the basis of the original test specification, which can equally well be executed on a manual test bench or a different automatic test system (been there, done that, written ATEC programs....).

The computer is a modular construction like any modern black box, if a card failed the card is replaced not the failed component on the card itself.
That of course depends on what level maintenance you're talking about. But for first/second-line maintenance I agree.

For obvious reasons (e.g. Intellectual property, trade secret, terrorism) a full logical diagram is hidden for the public,
Depends on what you call "the public". In an avionics workshop, I would expect to have access to this kind of information.
....but PJ2 posted a pitch channel logic for A320 a while ago...
Terminology has obviously gone out of the window since "my days". That's not a 'logic' block diagram, but a 'functional' diagram.... and near-useless (except as an intro) to anybody called to maintain the system.