PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rafale wins Indian order
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2012, 19:59
JFZ90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with all gravelbelly says - I had a feeling that there was some crewe toll experience given the Edinburgh location.

My point was only a simple one about size, though its true that many other factors apply. That said an 8% benefit/improvement in any aspect of radar performance is not something to be sniffed at.

I also don't know whether the rafale pesa is better / worse than ecr90, though I recall the rumour being ecr90 as fundamentally an excellent mech radar based on sound proven technology, whereas the rbe was a bit of a technology deadend (in a similar way to fmicw foxhunter ai24). Rbe pesa looks sexy in the brochures but it doesn't offer the true advantages of an aesa radar.

This is potentially academic as I assume the Indians would get the aesa rafale, not the pesa one, which you can assume is a much better system (if they've mastered the tech). Also worth noting that there maybe a telling reason why rafale is getting the aesa upgrade & typhoon hasn't yet - i.e. the pesa rafale needed the upgrade a lot more than an ecr90 typhoon and as such was easier to justify. Just speculation of course.