PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet - 4
Thread: EasyJet - 4
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2012, 11:20
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one post only -

Neither families nor singles benefit in any way from the imposition of a random additional charge ("admin fee") which should be included in the basic fare as part of the integral cost of doing business. Giving a "discount" on what is effectively a fine for booking is unlikely to garner praise from anyone, let alone those picked on to pay more than "their share" of the burden. At least the other unfair hidden charges are levied across all customers equally.

Like it or not, single travellers ARE a minority group. Targeting them for financial repression is no different in moral terms than penalising Jews, gays or females. It has just been overlooked in terms of legislation. If singles receive something extra for their additional fee (eg. use of a double hotel room), fair enough. Otherwise, no way. There is no additional cost to the business in this case. A single customer uses half the number of seats as a couple, and therefore it is fitting that the price paid should be exactly half as much.

Even if this immoral business practice did in some way encourage families to book (though I'm not sure how random additional fees, even at a reduced rate, achieve this), many families fly just one round trip per year. A large number of single tavellers fly very frequently. Penalising them is not good for business. You say that if charges were changed to benefit singles like me, families would suffer. Well, I'm not looking to get a *better* deal than families. I just expect to pay an identical price for an identical product. Parity. To be treated equally and not ripped off. This is hardly an unreasonable expectation, is it?

This unequally applied charge is a major blunder by EasyJet however they dress it up or try to justify it.

PS. The big difference with BOGOF promotions in a supermarket is that a single customer can buy and use two bags of sugar. They cannot travel twice on the same flight. And if a restaurant charges two main courses at the same price as one ... they can darned well bring me two meals!!! I can always ask for a doggy-bag at the end!

Last edited by Shed-on-a-Pole; 9th Feb 2012 at 11:31.