PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas -its started
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2002, 05:16
notsovapid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stressful, stressful, stressful.

I have to agree with the last few postings. I have witnessed many good people reduced to tears so unnecessarily because of this randomness and indiscriminate discrimination policy that seems to abound in Australian aviation management/HR circles.

I have been offered an interview next month, yet I too, never received any phone interview!

I feel personally bad and very sorry for other perfectly good candidates who haven't had the benefit of good luck here. I think the thing is, Australia is still immature in some of its processes. That whole psychometric interview process, the calls to some and not others, it simply highlights the poor standards of management in our country compared to other nations (sometimes). I think Australian aviation might suffer more as well because there are simply too many "recycled" managers in the business. A lot of the same old faces (and hence ideas and styles) from the collapsed basket-case of Ansett are now being re-invented and employed at Qantas.

The job market here is small and insulated. Many times it is a case of "jobs for the boys" and this makes matters worse I think. This is one of the reasons why I favour airline exchange programs so much for staff; new ideas and influences etc.

It's not right that supposedly, "the most valuable asset in a company, the employees" are being treated in this way. Little wonder that cabin crew become a difficult group to manage subsequently. The seeds of dissent are being sown right now in this process. Why don't managers care and think about these kinds of issues which would serve to make their own management roles less stressful longer-term, as well as increase the willingness of employees to go the extra-mile. If you really want to give the best in customer service you have to at least acknowledge what the "grinning pullover" Sir Richard Branson (not my nickname unfortunately) does, and that is, that your staff must be fully committed to your business first and foremost.