PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New instructor.
Thread: New instructor.
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2012, 02:43
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
I am not an instructor, though I have done a lot of type familiarization training.

I was young when I started, and learned very quickly that the pilot I was to mentor, could afford this many hundred thousand dollar aircraft, and was a successful businessman, but that did not automatically make him an adequate or safe pilot. I was sharply jolted out of my complacency a couple of times, until I realized never to be complacent when my role is to familiarize a new pilot with a new type.

Some of the "older" pilots I flew with, came to me with "attitude". They were successful in most other aspects of life, hence the excess time and money with which to fly. They seemed to presume that if they could succeed in business, they would succeed in flying. They had an air of entitlement to bypass the more basin steps. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, and this is particularly true in piloting. The corporate giant has to really suck it up to surrender his attitude of master, to become learner.

I found that when I got attitude, it was time to demonstrate some skillful flying. A greased on spot STOL landing would always do it - but you gotta be smooth, and get it right. Once you've done one from the right seat of an amphibian, and they realize they haven't a hope of matching it, it sets the tone, for the master/learner relationship, you need. It's what you're supposed to be able to do as an instructor. You're not saying in a brag "watch this!!!", you're saying calmly, "this is how I'd like to see it done", while you apply every molecule of skill you can, but don't look like you are....

As Big Pistons correctly says, do it right, and show it right. If you miss the mark, say that you did, so both you and the student know that the standard is higher.

Pretend that you are trying to sell them the plane, and you want it to appear to be amazing, and very easy to fly well. If you make it look good, they like it, feel confident in the plane, and your skill.

On the other hand, I was asked to check out the new owner in his newly purchased Bellanca Viking a few years back. I had not flown a Viking before, so I flew a few hours to polish my skills, before flying it with him. The Viking is amazing to fly, but demands skill and precision, or you look bad in it. Though and older, and very successful fellow, he had poor skills as a pilot, and the more I flew with him, the more I worried. For the experience he told me he had, it should have taken 5 to 10 hours to bring him up to skill on that type. After 19 hours, I told him I would not sign the recommendation for him to be insured. he was a nice guy, and it was difficult. He took the plane home anyway.

That was a situation where he and I did no agree on his skills. His attitude prevailed over his willingness to learn. He seemed to think that if he was good at everything else, he was good at flying. He just could not appreciate the difference between my "this is how I'd like to see it done" techniques, and his "anything will do" approach. Though he might meet the mark of minimum safe, it is a certainty that if Swiss cheese holes start lining up, he's in big trouble.

If you demonstrate consistant skill and precision, the people with the right attitude will see that, and place themselves as the learner to your teaching.