PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot sues Virgin
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2012, 23:17
hadagutful

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting your back up........

Interesting to scan through some of the posts on this topic.

I fly for business and pleasure and I am in the busines of advising on personal risk protection (otherwise known as insurance).
Having taken medical histories from hundreds of people over the years, I would say that back and other joint injuries and disorders are very common. This is particularly so in the older age group, 50+ but it isn't uncommon in younger people as well.
The causes can be work related but other factors come into play like certain sports with overuse injury and things like domestic activity, gardening, lifting etc.
I'm not a doctor or physio but I know from personal experience that even sitting for periods of time with incorrect posture can cause back strain and pain. (Cockpit seat ergonomics?)
So whether this individual pilot wins his case remains to be seen but it may be difficult to prove that it related solely to his flying and carrying his bag. You would ned to know his entire medical history and his hobbies, sports etc.

I think adsyj above makes the very valid point though that it's important to have income protection not just for this but all accident and sickness possibilities and without wanting to do any "hard sell" if anyone needs info or help, I have a specific aircrew income protection for anyone needing assistance.

Can contact me direct through PPrune.