PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - casa - Does anything really change???
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2012, 22:03
gobbledock

Location: Alabama, then Wyoming, then Idaho and now staying with Kharon on Styx houseboat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24 years of turd polishing

Thanks Tailwheel. Your post got me thinking, only a short step back in time to 2005/2006, around 16 years into the reg reform program.

CASA Media Release - Wednesday, 16 March 2005
Safety outcomes the top priority
New aviation regulations must focus on safety outcomes rather than being excessively prescriptive.
This principle for the development of new air safety rules has been laid down by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority’s chief executive officer, Bruce Byron.
Mr Byron told an aviation law conference today that safety outcomes were generally more important than the methods used achieve compliance with regulations.
“We want to get our regulations back to a clear safety focus,” Mr Byron said.
“Where possible I want the rules to spell out the outcome to be achieved and not be excessively prescriptive.
“The regulations should then be supported by an advisory method of compliance.
“In other words, if you adopt this method you will satisfy the regulatory requirement (and satisfy CASA). But other methods may well produce the required outcome and may therefore be an acceptable means of compliance.”
Mr Byron told the Aviation Law Association of Australia and New Zealand that some people in the aviation industry had doubts about the way CASA had conducted consultation while developing new regulations.
He said these doubts centred on whether everyone had been given enough time to consider the large volume of proposed new rules being released and whether CASA had seriously considered suggestions put forward by the aviation industry.
“Some said it was just ‘lip-service’ and CASA would implement the regulations in the way that it wanted.
“It is almost irrelevant whether the concerns had any substance or not. Perception plays a big part in attitude formation in the aviation world and I suppose in most fields of human interaction.
“There was a perception among a sufficiently significant group of players that there were problems with the way the regulatory development process was going.”
Mr Byron said for these reasons he had issued directives that effectively put the regulatory reform processes on hold and set new principles for rules development.
The speech can be read at: http://casa.gov.au/corporat/ceo/05-03-16.htm
Media contact:
Peter Gibson
mobile 0419 296 446
Ref: 0509

And back to Tailwheel -

Mr Byron—I anticipate we would start sending some of them from about the middle of this year. I do not see this delaying the overall program excessively. We have an action item to develop a plan to forward to the minister about when we plan to have them to the minister, and I assume that plan would be done in the next couple of months. I would be hopeful that it would not be long after early 2006 that most of the draft rules are delivered to the minister.
A lovely 'golden nugget' from the annals of history. Yep, pick any given year between 1988 and 2012 and sift through the layers of pony pooh and all you end up with is, well, pony pooh!!