PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Crew is Dangerous Job
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2002, 00:49
PickyPerkins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel that there is a line missing from the Sun table.

The line should be for “General population, risk of dying in a road accident”

I don’t know the numbers for the UK, but for the USA it would read about 16 per 100,000, and therefore appear immediately below “Dockers and Stevedores“ and immediately above “Lorry drivers”. (About 40,000 deaths per year of drivers [including truck drivers], passengers, and pedestrians, in a population of 249M.)

The point I want to make is that ALL the people on the list run the road risk in ADDITION to their work risk.

So, for instance, if the road risks are about the same for the UK as for the USA, then “Painters and Decorators” are about three times more likely to die on the road during their off work time as they are at work.

The article says the study was “carried out ……. for the International Transport Federation“. It seems to have been well worth doing. It underlines how dangerous the roads are in comparison to many (most?) work environments.

BTW, based on the last two years, the chances in the USA of dying on the roads are about 26 times higher than of dying in a terrorist attack, in the air or on the ground. (80,000 deaths on the road vs. 3,000 in terrorist attacks)