PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Death in RAF Chinook in Iraq
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2012, 12:37
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
tuc's comparison with the response of the MOD and the RAF (including the RAF Police!) to the aftermath of the Mull tragedy is well made. There is currently a thread re the BBC programme "Bomber Boys" in which the morality of the BC Bombing Campaign in WWII was given the default Beeb Moral Equivalence treatment (in this case equating it to the Nazi Death Camps). The lesson I draw from that, and the injustice of Mull, and the alleged conduct of RAF personnel here is that morality is the business of each and ever member of the Armed Forces. BC crew members were, in my view, given legal orders that they obeyed. Many people in the MOD were given illegal orders, both before and after Mull, which they also obeyed. What orders were given to those that are the subject of this thread I do not know, but they were all subject to military law which forbids the giving or execution of illegal orders. Whether you sit behind a desk, risk your life night after night in a WWII Heavy Bomber, or operate a Chinook, that holds true. Easy to say, bloody difficult to do, but do it you must for that is your duty.