PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Boys- BBC 1.
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2012, 09:37
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pontiflex's age is correct. Now I am 6 years younger and obviously was not around for the BoB but I do remember from the perspective of a babe in arms some of the fear.

I don't know how old I was, probably 18 months, but my mother missed her bus stop in the blackout. I remember the bus was brightly lit, white inside, with blacked out windows.

The bus arrived at the end of its route were all pasengers were expected to get off before it returned to the depot. My mother was ordered off the bus, where she knew not, in the dark, in a strange part of Birkenhead.

The bits I remember vividly was the inside of the bus and my mother's distress and it being pitch black. I have no other recollection from that time. Later I knew it was a quarry turning area at Bidston a short distance from Claughton.

My point is that if an event has sufficient impact then it can be remembered at an early age. I also remember my father coming home when I was still less than 2. I could crawl and I knew enough to stay up. He arrived in the living room in a trench coat. I was 4 and walking when I saw him again when he returned from Japan.

On justification, he visited Nagasaki and thought the bomb had been wonderful. He marvelled at glass bottles crushed, shadows burnt in the concrete, stalks of wheat driven through tree trunks. He certainly didn't think it had been wrong.