PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Incident - Incorrect thrust setting for takeoff
Old 8th Feb 2012, 05:40
aussie027

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
inandout said--
Also as the thrust is set based on runway takeoff data, one needs to make sure the wts used for this data is correct. With 30min turn arounds mistakes can and do happen. The old swiss cheese.
Exactly, wieghts need to be triple checked too, as Emirates found out in their very narrow escape from a major disaster in MEL a few yrs back!!!

I think, from memory it was an entry error of 100 tonnes lighter than actual as the 1st and 2nd digits of the weight were swapped on entry??

Can someone who flies ops in a 3 man or more crew please tell me how with whatever the company SOP is to prevent this and at least 3 people supposedly independently cross checking the data entries and subsequent V speed and thrust setting results no one picked, eg 230 instead of 320 tonnes being used in the takeoff calcs???
1 person makes an error and the SOP check fails and 2 others confirm the error as correct???
I'm sorry, I know anything is possible under the right mix of circumstances but I am still at a loss to understand how this actually happened without being detected until it was very nearly too late in the take off.