PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 or B747-400?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2012, 02:39
CargoOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don Corleoni

I take it you are somewhere at the early stage of your carrier. One thing you should learn - never listen to dinosaurs. At the end of the day we all know what happen to dinosaurs. It is very comfortable to give advises like "never pay TR" when you are in upper half of seniority list with a legacy carrier however the real world is different. You can ignore it and endup doing nothing while there will be other takers anyway.

Particularly on the subject, all real 744 EU carriers are a sort of legacy i.e. you have little to no chance to become direct entry FO on 744. The rest are so shaky that it not worth to consider and actually if I remember right there are almost none anyway (Pullmantur / Corsair / who else?). If you have a 744 job offer you are looking at being expat for a foreseeable future and 744 as a type is fading down. Also a large part of 744 ops are hard to get with JAR FCL license (US/Japan/Russia). And last time I've seen, any 744 vacancies are attracting lots of type experienced people, i.e. with little hours you will be pretty much at the bottom.

With 320 you have a much better chance to secure a job at home or next to your home without any validations, there are literally thousands of 320s in operation, 320neo is sounds to be just a minor differences training and there is a quick and open door to 330/350 in the future. True many 320s operators are very shaky as well however we still talking about a dozen(s) who hiring at any time and you can opt for sandpit at some stage to enter legacy world (and by the way there are NONE 744 in that area except Saudi).

Sure there is much more to see when flying 744, however be careful - sometimes Lagos, Port Harkout and Jeddah are not that attractive as spending your weekend with family.

This is probably my longest post in a years but once I've seen this I can't just stand of some earlier replies to your post.