PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rafale wins Indian order
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 23:15
BombayDuck

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Bombay Duck, are you confident that Rafales can handle newer Chinese fighter aircraft, some of which incorporate patented technology stolen from the F-35?
Given proper tactics and usage, yes. The MMRCA is meant to be primarily a strike aircraft - yes, with a swing-role capability and I'm sure the Rafale will carry a pair of MICA and ASRAAM/R550 - but it is meant to replace legacy Jaguars, supplement new-build Jags and take over from Mirage 2000s in that role (while the Mirages are being outfitted for CAP with a new RDY+MICA and already have HMS+R-73). I'm sure they will be provided cover for the next decade or so by Su-30s and by the T-50/PAK-FA after that.

The IAF is moving on from 1v1 warfare and has invested in "force multipliers" (not sure if this phrase is in common usage) such as AWACS and in-flight refuelling, while now attempting to shore up its superiority in numbers on at least the western front.

Moving on to Chinese aircraft: The FC-1/JF-17 may incorporate a DSI but... it's not a game-changer. I'd be interested to know what sort of kit the Chinese have gotten working inside the radome, and if they ever got the SD-10 AMRAAM-equivalent missile working.

The J-10 looks fairly good - but again I'm not sure what sort of kit they have in them, and I'm fairly sceptical of internet-based rumours.

If there is one aircraft I'm not at all worried about, it's the J-20. If they want to waste money on developing, buying and maintaining "stealth" fighters, more power to them.

But all this is just me, and it's a layman's opinion.