PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rafale wins Indian order
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 23:06
JFZ90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True - I was focussing on the "Tx power ** 4" bit. You can do cute stuff with the same-sized antenna to give you better directional gain (see "not all of the elements will radiate with the same power"); but I was focussing on what I thought was a "if you want twice the range you need 10x aperture" argument from the original poster.
The radar range equation includes effective aperture size of the antenna (Radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - so all other things being equal it is relevant to range isn't it? The text quoted were not my words, just something that came with the text I copied from the info on the sizes of antennas (which may not be accurate, but the sizes look plausible).

In other words what i was trying to say was that if you apply the same radar technology to typhoon or rafale, the potentially larger effective aperture of typhoon will be an advantage?

At typhoon at 700mm vs rafale at 600mm, the area is potentially 36% larger. This increase is directly proportional to the power returning to the receiver, for equivalent tx power, antenna gain, range and rcs. Does that translate into an 8% benefit in range?

Last edited by JFZ90; 7th Feb 2012 at 23:30.