PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Canberra
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 22:50
BSweeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goudie

I have also heard that story and from what I can recall your account is accurate.

I have also "tussled" with a pilot but for a different reason. We were down to fly a "LoPro" (Low Level Probe), a particularly useless "war" mission. The concept was to formate below an MRR aircraft (a Vulcan in this case (27 Sqn?)) flying at high level 35K+ and when they wanted an id on a surface contact, they would point us in the right direction and launch us at about 40nm. We would start a stop watch for ranging and descend at max rate, which for a Canberra, with ABs, was about 8-10k a minute. There was a nav (the funniest man I ever met) in the back and I acted as the observer looking for the contact in the front next to the pilot (I was small enough to be able to stand next to him).

The pilot, who was on his first flight after just coming out of hospital following an operation on his sinuses, collapsed in agony at 12,000ft. As a very junior nav (3rd month into my first tour) this was a big shock as we were about 1.5 minutes to stumpfing in. After the "tussle", the pilot came round and we slowly climbed back up until the pain eased. The sortie was called off and we made a very very slow descent into St Mawgan.

Yes, I know. What lunatic would put himself on such a profile after such an op. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The funny nav? - I'll give you a clue. He once flew on 7 Sqn, on 7/7/1977 with Air Cdre Dick de Severne (who I think was some wheel in 18Grp) as his pilot. After his last 1369, I asked him what the boss said (knowing he had done b***r all for his last year in the RAF). "Very complimentary " he said, "he's made me his sexual advisor". "Really" I remarked, quite astounded (and niaively). "Yes",he replied, "He distinctly told me - when I want your f***ing advice S****, I shall ask for it".