PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pratt & Whitney J58 vs General-Electric J93
Old 7th Feb 2012, 21:39
OldBUFFkeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "Monster that ate Pratt & Whitney"

The beginning of your text makes me want to scratch my old, grey, head in wonder, as I have heard it before, and many times. Given that the J-58 and the J-93 were roughly the size, to hear that the J-58 was an 80%(!!) "scale model" of the J-91, originally offered as a competitor to........... the J-93, as a B-70 powerplant, one must wonder just how much of a monster that engine (the J-91) must have been, and what was P&W thinking when they offered it as a J-93 alternative? Perhaps, there was a FOUR(!!)-engined version of the Valkyrie that no one, (certainly not I), has never seen! But then again, when one hears the thrust figures for the J-91, (approx. 41,500lbs w/AB) they're not that much greater than the most powerful versions of either the J58 or J-93, both of which "clocked in" at around 33,500/35,000lbs. To add insult to injury, the weight, around four and a half TONS(!!!), gave a T/W ratio that, even in the '60's, was almost pitiful. Anyone have any further specs on the "P&W MONSTER(!!!)", or, even better yet, know eher we can find pics?

OldBuffkeeper