PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Danger with Rapid Rotations
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 19:31
cosmo kramer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again, I can't see what relevance the width of the body has to do with tail clearance. What is it that you would like to say with that? What is it that in your opinion makes a (oh lord) wide body different from other aircraft?

And responsible TRTOs on medium range aircraft teach their pilots to fly them the same way like their bigger brothers - to get a common mindset
Actually this is what Boeing has to say about it:
737 300-900 FCTM:
When a smooth continuous rotation is initiated at VR, tail clearance margin is assured because computed takeoff speeds depicted in the PI chapter of the FCOM, airport analysis, or FMC, are developed to provide adequate tail clearance.
For optimum takeoff and initial climb performance, initiate a smooth continuous rotation at VR toward 15° of pitch attitude. The use of stabilizer trim during rotation is not recommended. After liftoff, use the attitude indicator as the primary pitch reference.
I don't have a wide body Boeing manual at hand. But normally, as you say, they maintain a uniform philosophy across their range of aircrafts. Exactly my point again. Focus on getting the rate right, and the performance calculations takes care of the rest of your worries. The topic is "the danger with rapid rotations", with the right rate, the rotation won't be rapid. I am giving my point of view on how to achieve the right rate.

An A340-600 has something like 9.5° tail strike clearance but needs 12.5° initial lift off pitch attitude - make the maths.
You are missing that the wheels unstick at a considerable lower pitch than 12.5 degs (hopefully, otherwise you are missing 3 degs on every takeoff ).

To take care of the landing as well, here is what Boeing has to say about that:
When the threshold passes under the airplane nose and out of sight, shift the visual sighting point to the far end of the runway.
They don't recommend looking at the PFD during the landing. Again, I am sure e.g. a 777 manual will have the same wording.

The techniques above are applicable to all 737 models, including the 900ER which have a Tail Strike Pitch Attitude of 10 degs during takeoff and 8 degs for landing.

If you can provide a reference from the your Airbus manual with a recommendation to look at the PFD during rotation and flare, all I can say is strange aircrafts, strange ideas! However, I doubt you can...?