PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working out new MDA/DH with an engine inoperative
Old 7th Feb 2012, 19:07
Intruder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is the misinformation to my crews?

In context, the regulatory requirement for US certified airplanes is FAR 25.121(d). The airplane must meet the regulatory requirement for one-engine-out performance, which is 2.1-2.7% gradient for the missed approach climb, depending on airplane type, at max landing weight, as I stated.

The base regulatory requirement for the approach procedures is FAR 97.20, which refers to FAA Handbook 8260.3, TERPS. Sec 7, par 270ff specify the regulatory requirement for designing approaches. Note that the approach must be designed to meet the 2.5% gradient of obstacle clearance from the DA or MAP.

The regulatory requirements regarding adherence to the DA/DH or MDA are in FAR 91.175(b)-(e). There is no reference to recalculation of a published DA/DH or MDA.

Sec 5-4-5, par a.4 of the Aeronautical Information Manual discusses changes to approach minimums when "annotated on the approach chart." There is NO discussion of pilot recalculation.

So, if both the airplane and the approach meet the regulatory requirements, the published DA/MAP for the airplane category is valid.

There is NO regulatory provision that I can find that requires a pilot to recalculate a different DA/MAP than that shown on an approach plate for his type aircraft. If you can find such a provision as a regulatory requirement, please post it.

So, once again, while you may do a book exercise in school to figure out the difference in initial altitude for a 2.0 vs 2.5% gradient to a given target altitude in 15 miles, there is NO regulatory requirement to do such a calculation while flying or planning a flight.

Australia, for example, requires asymmetric performance to meet the 2.5% missed approach gradient *or* adjust the MDA upwards to allow for the reduced performance gradient.
Doing such a calculation in the cockpit after an engine failure seems to be an exercise in distraction from flying the airplane.

Are Australian operators also required to publish missed approach gradient performance information it the Operating Manual, Performance Manual, or Quick Reference Handbook? US operators are NOT required to do so, so I would be unable to do such a calculation if I lost an engine enroute to Sydney.

Alternatively, do Australian operators publish a maximum landing weight for one-engine-out operations so the regulatory gradient is accomplished?