PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Boys- BBC 1.
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 17:57
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what it's worth, I thought that the programme was very dis-jointed.

First, what on earth did the inclusion of Cliff Spink bring to it – nothing. What did the ‘training’ of the two brothers bring to it, nothing – especially the DC3 bits, other than to pan the time out; and the navigation piece, I thought was, and almost certainly to the viewer, pointless, The appearance of one of the brothers (shirt out/jeans/ unkempt hair/unshaven, giggly) was, in comparison, to others in the programme, rude. Their dwelling upon cruelty to the German populace was in my view misplaced: they rightly referred to Dresden as a scene of terrible destruction in the latter part of the war (overly concentrating on its moral awfulness, with which I only partly agree), but strangely choosing to visit Hamburg (instead of Dresden) and stressing that city’s plight, although it was an earlier war target, and probably more justifiably so in its time and place (and certainly so in comparison to the programme’s description of Coventry). By so doing, the producers, to me, purposely hyped up their popular moralistic message.

That said, the historical video clips were, again, unique, and the veterans were truly amazing.

A production for those of today, some reality, some modern morality, and some lack of understanding of what it meant to be bombed the f8ck out of in London and many other cities.

Overall, a very weak and shallow production, in my opinion of course!