PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A340 Yaw Damper
Thread: A340 Yaw Damper
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 17:13
grounded27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking another look at grounded27's entry, use of the word "flutter" jumps out at me. "Flutter" is a term reserved to describe unintended oscillation of either a control surface or airplane structure associated with lightly damped or unstable modes. To say that an airplane exhibits flutter is to suggest that it has a serious design or manufacturing flaw that would not be certifiable. To say that a control system is high bandwidth and results in rapid control surface motions is one thing. To characterize those motions as flutter is a completely different issue. Be careful with your choice of words.
None the less you understood my intent and YES how other to describe the rapid movement of a flight control in one word...... May be high frequency of rudder control surface movement to dampen unwanted yaw effect that may otherwise result in dutch roll and also lower the amount of vomit bags used in the aft section of large aircraft.

Just to add that on many aircraft types they take the 400Hz electrical system and increase the frequency used to read the position sensors on the actuators for cleaner operation..

And yes visually it appears to flutter to the layman's eye!!!!!!It appears to be quite insane to the point. But there is genius to this insanity. You sir should chose your post's carefully!

I took the liberty of spell checking your words in the quote for you...