PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Falklands War Brewing
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 14:52
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
CG, if we lose the Islands, we can't even begin to think about taking them back. the loss of carrier aviation - and i'm talking generally, not specifically about CVS/GR9 - means we have no capability to threaten an Argentine garrison on the Islands.

I must disagree with that statement.

It might take a while to muster the assets, but we still have the capability to retake the Islands. We can bleat as long as we like about the loss of the Harrier, but it's gone and not coming back. Step up the Apache, war proven, ship operable and with current crews, as are all our helicopter assets.

Technology has advanced somewhat in the lat 30 years and we know what we can do and how we can do it. We have better kit, much better kit. Gortex boots for example, as opposed to the cardboard soled DMS and putties from last time, and I would say that our troops would be well up for a more traditional war. As before, the opposition will fail to have the staying power.

What's needed to fight a war? Air superiority?
Perhaps not if you can control the air with something like Dauntless and effective reconnaissance of anti air targets. We decide what is allowed to fly...step up Apache and SH. It'll all be over by Christmas !

Lets not forget, from the kick off this time, we have a few more feet on the ground than 2 troops of Royals at Moody Brook on changeover.