PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Helicopters Nigeria
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 12:09
chopperchappie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most people have a clue about the culture in many of the areas natural resources exist and are collected and I can't speak specifically for Bond - Nigeria.

I don't know if I am imagining this or if I dreamed it or what but I think there was a programme (I think it was a documentary, possibly even part of some Ross Kemp or Chris Ryan gangs thing) on UK TV about couple of guys including a (206?) pilot who got kidnapped and were held for a while and released.

It's really sketchy and I think it was Nigeria but to be honest I'm hoping that someone else might remember it more clearly, but it did have a bit of a no holds barred commentary about the general living conditions and big picture on the general risk. The bit I recall was that the pilot that talked about it said something along the lines of everyone kind of dismisses the risks as being a bit trivial until they walk into a room with multiple people pointing AKs at you.

Maybe that doesn't help at all and maybe I am remembering it wrong but when I watched it I thought it was quite interesting that it showed some of that background.

Anyways - I'm sure there's more people that have been there - got the T-Shirt and can provide better more specific info but it was just something that twanged in the grey cells when mentioned. On the other hand I may be talking about the wrong country - so don't put too much store in this !

CC

PS - Obviously I'm expecting a bit of flak over such an "informative" post but the point was just that we often consider the day to day things like shift pattern, living accom etc. but trivialise or blank out the really important things like life-expectancy!

Last edited by chopperchappie; 7th Feb 2012 at 12:19.