PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomber Boys- BBC 1.
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 12:03
pontifex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having just read this thread from start to finish in one go, I have to say that I am impressed at the small degree of thread creep. Even the Tirpitz issue can be excused as it was featured in the programme.

I think one of the more telling comments is that it is pointless to compare contemporary opinion with current PC thoughts. I, too, grew up during the war, and in Croydon too. I can still vividly remember cowering in the Anderson shelter during a raid with my father pacing up and down outside muttering "bastards - bastards ------" whilst my mother and I were beseeching him to get inside. I, too was shot at on the way to school by a marauding aircraft. Lousy aiming - it killed a horse in a nearby field! And I can remember being paniced by a salvo of V1s on the way home one day. No-one in my family had the slightest doubt that our bombing offensive was the way to go and that the more Germans that perished the better. Later when I was training in Canada and came in contact with some or the new Luftwaffer pilots doing jet conversions (all ex wartime pilots), I found that they were good guys and just like us. When I told my father he came close to disowning me.

I have had the priveledge to have flown both currently flying Lancasters and to have spent a great deal of time with ex wartime bomber aircrew at their sqn reunions. I have found them all to be wonderful men and I cannot say too strongly how glad I am that they are finally getting some belated recognition for the sacrifices they and their colleagues made. Not once did I detect a hint of PTSD; I guess they were made of sterner stuff in those days. It is a sober reflection that (this was in the 80s) old sqn associations were still strong (some of those units may only have been in existence for 6 months or so as their losses were so huge that they were subsumed into another) whereas others still current have difficulty in keeping an association going.

Yes, there were issues that we in the business could carp about in the programme, but it was on prime time TV. A purely historical piece would have been on BBC4 at some unpopular hour. It achieved its aim to inform the Great British Public about the enormous losses incurred on their behalf; and if it helps fund raising for the Bomber Command memorial I will have no complaints.