PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 11:26
fredjhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replies

TommyOv 2266
I had three days at Cardington. The second morning was devoted to Maths tests and General Knowledge. In the afternoon we had all the medicals. The hearing test amused me. The MO produced a pocket watch, stood at the opposite end of the room, then moved slowly towards me saying, "Tell me when you can hear the ticking!" The next day was the interview with a Group Captain, a Wing Commander and a Squadron Leader. The table had about a dozen model aircraft and a map. The first question was to identify all the aircraft. Then, "Why do you want to join the RAF?" Details about my Education, Sports played, how the war was progressing and the names of government ministers, etc.,etc.
One question was, "Explain how you would calculate the height of the Airship Mast from outside this window without moving more than 100 feet. What would be the minimum equipment you would need?" The three conferred quietly then the G/C said, "We are recommending you for pilot training.
If you should fail to learn to fly, will you train as a navigator?" I said,
" Yes, Sir, " and he shook my hand and wished me good luck. Later I found they had recommended me for a commission.
DANNY 42c 2273
Your details of kit being issued at Receiving Wing is as I remembered it, but I think we had two pairs of boots. I seem to remember one pair lying, bottoms up, on the bed with all the other accoutrements One pair was exchanged for shoes at EFTS, then we eventually had just two pairs of shoes.
We also had two kit bags; one for flying clothing which was issued as soon as we moved to ITW. Battle dress was given to us at SFTS in October, 1941, together with a strip of leather which we had to sow over the right pocket, then inscribe our names. How it all comes back!
Fredjhh