PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Falklands War Brewing
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 11:19
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Lonewolf,
I personally cringe at the idea of those brave islanders setting up any type of militia that would fight an occupying force. Note I am saying an occupying force and not an invading force.

America is a beautiful country with lots of forests, fauna etc, the Falkland Islands have...........

NO forests, no trees and not many places where groups of militia can comfortably operate from. It would possibly be far too dangerous to hide out in the farms owned by islanders as there would be no place to hide if the occupying force were to search that property.

If you enjoy hiding in a bog!! (Is that a slang term for toilet) or among the rocks or barren heathland then this is the place for you except you might have to live on a diet of raw seal or seagull!! (Would you risk having a bonfire to cook your food)

Forget living off the fruits of the land as that will not happen. forget laying out in the nice warm sunshine as that is also unlikely to happen.

Our highly trained special forces managed to survive but they were well stocked and extremely well trained. A significant number of British soldiers that marched across the Falklands required medical attention for the dreaded trench foot which was caused by the horrible boggy conditions.. How will the militia cope with these conditions and for how long?

I would however like to think that the Defence Force might be able to commit acts of sabotage, spying and of course general non compliance but playing at soldiers once the islands have been captured might be a step too far.

Something that is still a very sensitive topic is the occupation of Guernsey\Jersey during the Second World War, I am in NO position to judge their behaviour just like I am in no position to judge the conduct of those that live under the protection of the Union Flag in the South Atlantic. However whilst they swear allegiance to that flag we MUST be duty bound to protect those islands.