PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA licenses?
Thread: FAA licenses?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 06:05
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
1. renew my ICAO CPL(H) => JAR CPL(H), no big deal
2. get visa and TSA approval, no big deal
3. get FAA medical, no big deal (would they accept JAR ?)
4. do a FAA validation of my JAR CPL(H) => FAA PPL(H), seems not to be big deal
5. written exams (do I have to do all three or just ATP, in JAR/EASA ATPL covers for CPL and IR), couple of hundred of $ and still less than 14 JAR exams and one year of dedicated hard studding
6. To do 3h of training with CFI, probably some more because I am used to fly much bigger helicopter than one schools have. no big deal (unless i need something like 40hours, than I am just a lousy pilot, I hope if I survived so far I am not that bad)
7.Checkride(s) for IR and probably CPL, and then for ATP?
1. Correct
2. Correct
3. Will NOT accept JAR.
4. Correct---paperwork exercise--make sure you have logbooks in order.
5. You will have to do at least the instrument and ATP...not commercial
6. 3 hours minimum---this is just for the instrument training. You will also need to be proficient in the aircraft for ALL of the VFR maneuvers required on the ATP flight check---this means autorotations etc. My guess is more than 3 hours to get proficient.
7. Flight checks for Instrument and ATP, (which may be combined I think...).

As Martinch mentioned....you will need to meet the 500 hours of cross-country flight time. It is defined as any flight with a landing more than 25nm from the point of departure. You will need aviation charts and your logbook and will need to prove that 500 hours of your flight time meets that requirement. You may wish to start creating a spreadsheet showing that time along with the page number from your logbook.