PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First Post.. Are there any jobs in this industry?
Old 7th Feb 2012, 05:35
willisstorm4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, PotatoWings your post was very inspirational and it makes me feel a bit more sane about my current lifestyle. Initially, I thought it was crazy coming out to South-East Asia to fly right hand seat on a single engine turbine aircraft, but after 10 months and 700 hours later, I am just about to move over to the left-hand seat. Although I have been paid very little acting as FO on a single-pilot aircraft, the experience I have gained from it has been invaluable and it makes me glad that my first job wasn't RH seat of a 737 for example. This job allows me to have at least 16 to 20 weeks off per year (depending on time with the company), and has allowed me to visit many places over Asia that my friends at home could only dream of.

Another thing this experience has made me realise is that there is no need to rush into flying the Big Jets providing you have that true passion for aviation. The longest sectors we fly in our operation are about 2 hours, and many people in the company complain how boring the cruise can be. But, these are the same people that are in such a rush to get into First and Second Office jobs within the airlines, where they will of course, spend a lot more than 90 minutes in the cruise !

For me, the first move away from home was the most difficult, but now I feel I am free to move anywhere in the world to reach the top of the aviation game; gradually moving on to bigger aircraft and different environments when I feel there is nothing else to be learned in any job. This ethos can't work for everyone, especially those with family commitments. However, I have seen many 30-50 year old's (with families) throughout my training, successfully complete flight training and get employed with minimum experience. These guys I found inspirational and are proof that nothing is impossible if you want it enough.

For me, I am glad that I was in the right place at the right time and I couldn't be happier with my life right now but at the same time I know things could change any minute. However, its is not the same for everyone, friends I have back in the UK are not necessarily happy with their self-sponsored Jet Jobs and at the same time, some of my colleagues aren't happy doing the same job as I love.

Finally, just do as much research as possible before you spend any money, talking to people with and without employment so you get both perspectives. Finally, look out for the flight schools, many of them are just out to exploit people with a dream. !