PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot sues Virgin
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 05:27
maggot

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Arm out the window
Having to lift a 15 kg nav bag onto a shelf is a threat?

That's far from a difficult task for any reasonably fit person, and I dare say if you can pass your Class 1 medical it shouldn't be classed as a threat or problem.

Employers should have to provide a safe workplace, but I think this is the kind of thing that takes OH&S too far. Lifting an item the weight of a nav bag onto a shelf should not be classed as something that requires special procedures or assistance.

Edit: Sorry, I see from posts above he didn't have to lift it onto a shelf, but slide it out from next to his seat. That would require some twisting, I guess, but it's still not something I'd suggest is the company's problem. Any reasonably fit person should be able to do that.
you've got it there, it's the leaning over twisting in the cramped space that is the 737 flight deck - do it over time and the risk is actually pretty large. Keg's post on page 1 sums it up. QF had a major oh&s crack down a few years ago and the 737 flight deck in all it's ergonomic glory was a hotspot with the bags. Also the action of reaching back/around (twisting, again.) to grab out the manuals throughout the day was also a contributor. Sounds like virgin is a sitting duck in this one...
so virgin folks, standby for an oh&s 'overview', fasten your cynicism.