PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Placards: "No Push"
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2012, 04:23
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
i have always used this as in 'A',

In that I always taught my students, and I still do it as a matter of course, move the elevators fully up and down - e.g. in the Cessna types, to check that the elevators actually move all the way to the stops - both 'up' and 'down' stops, and then to check the stops themselves and the lockwires for security etc.

The rudder is sometimes marked 'no push', however I have always believed it to be just that - don't even think of pushing the aircraft using this....
However, once again I do 'move' the rudder to check travel etc, and then to check the 'stops' and lockwires for the above reasons.

Similarly, when checking the ailerons, move fully up and down to ensure that you have full travel, that the small 'locking pins' are in place at the ends of the hinges...and don't forget to firmly hang on to the aileron while you have your fingers on either the end hinge pins or the mass balances to check their security....otherwise...a gust of wind can....hurt.

Then on the Chipmunk for example, the 'fillet' or fairing that runs onto the Vertical Fin from the top of the rear fuselage is HOLLOW, thin aluminium, is ALWAYS marked 'NO PUSH HERE', BUT....because it just seems 'convenient, a lot of people (Silly Ignorant people..) DO!

Despite the fact that the leading edge of the vertical FIN is just as 'handy' and is strong enough to do so.....and is often marked 'Push Here'.....

Sorry, can't give you a POH reference, as I don't have one 'to hand'....

Hope this helps.

Cheers