Thread: Fuel Rules
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2002, 15:42
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 442 Likes on 234 Posts
Gaseous,

There are strict regs in UK for the transportation and storage of Petrol based liquid. I'm not sure about the allowed quantities but I know they are very small unless you have a licence. I think they might be as little as 20 litres for storage at a residential property in other than a vehicle fuel tank. Also, for road transportation of much more than a couple of spare cans I have been told you need a Hazchem clearance or suchlike.

I will research this and see if I can find out any more, as a keen car & bike person (4 + 1 at last count) it may affect me too .

My local Tesco garage lady recently went ape$hit at me when she saw me innocently filling my 25 litre jerry can at the pump.

Just found some info. You are allowed 2 x 5 litre plastic containers or 2 x 10 litre metal containers. Above those amounts you need to inform your local Petrol Licensing Authority and above 60 gallons you need a licence.

Powerful stuff, petrol when you think about it. One gallon blasts my bike 50 miles or my BMW 30 miles!

Last edited by ShyTorque; 28th Nov 2002 at 19:44.