PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gazelle crash
Thread: Gazelle crash
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2002, 15:23
Holly_Copter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm not disposed to ranting normally, but I do get *very* irritated by the Professional/Private debate!

I have more hours (on 10 types) than a lot of commercial pilots I've known, and I'm not one. I've been complimented by many of them on my flying and attitude. (Right on the nail there, Nr Fairy!).

I've also seen quite a few "professional" pilots who I WOULDN'T entrust my loved ones to, and many PPL's who I WOULD.

How on earth can someone make a snap judgement about a pilot's ability just becaue he stuffed up a landing? Many do. Many get away with it. High-time, low-time, attitude, commercial or private doesn't come into it. Every time we take off, there's a chance this might happen. (Forget that fact, and it probably will, too!).

Would those who have commended MY flying suddenly turn and imtimate that I'm a bad pilot and say "I wouldn't fly with him!" if I did this? One day I may very well stuff up a landing. I'm proud of my flying, and I judge myself harshly. The day I'm not, is the day I'll consider giving it up.

Can't comment on the Gazelle debate, as I've never flown one (Flying Lawyer - you did invite me once, thanks - still up for it one day!).

Nevertheless, I'd suggest that until you're experienced in flying one, don't comment in that way. As far as I'm concerned, I've never yet encountered a type that doesn't have some psychopathic trait hidden away somewhere. It's a case of researching it, understanding it, being trained in handling it and remaining vigilant at all times for it.

Wow, a rant from me? It's a bit (lot) out of character. Maybe I haven't been near a woman for too long! (Or maybe the 2-month flying gap's getting to me!). Time for a cold shower, and a flight at the weekend - maybe I'll be myself again!

Holy_Copter